Ash Melika, Ph.D. (Projected)
Associate Professor of Archaeology/Anthropology
Office Phone: 951-552-8799 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Office Location: James 140 Office Hours:
|Ph.D. (Projected)||Culture Anthropology/Material Culture||University of Leicester, England||2014|
|M.Div.||Hebrew Bible and Semitic Languages||Princeton Theological Seminary||2003|
|M.A.||Culture Anthropology/Archaeology||Columbia University||2000|
|M.A.||Egyptology||New York University||1997|
|B.A.||Ancient Near Eastern Archaeology||The City University of New York||1994|
. Participated in archaeological training at Saqqara, Egypt.
. Involved in a research project of several tombs at the Giza Plateau, Egypt.
. Team member for two seasons in the excavation of Tell-el Borg, North Sinai, Egypt.
- Introduction to Archaeology: Ancient Near East
- Introduction to Archaeology: Egypt
- Introduction to Archaeology: Biblical Lands
- Cultural Anthropology
- Introduction to Anthropology
- Race, Class, & Gender
- Global Conflict
- World History: Antiquity to 1500 AD
- History of the Middle East
- Introduction to Arabic II
- Introduction to Religion
- Religions of the World
- Introduction to Sociology
- Sociology of Marriage and the Family.
Academic Areas & Scholarly Interests
- Archaeology and Languages of ancient Egypt and the ancient Near East
- Wisdom Literature in the Hebrew Scriptures and the Near East (ancient and modern)
- Anthropology of Religion
- Eastern Christianity (Monastic Theology)
- Anthropology of Modern Middle Eastern Minorities
- Material Culture.
Research, Presentations, & Publications
. "Signs of Protest: The Semiotics of the Egyptian Revolution of 25 January," American Ethnological Society, NY, (April 2012).
. "Near Eastern Conceptions of Wisdom," Society of Biblical Literature: Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting, NJ, (March 2012).
. “Isaiah 19:1-15: A Reversal of Egyptian Royal Ideology” Society of Biblical Literature, MA, (November 2008).
. “Ancient Pharaonic Statues and the Quest for Conception amongst the Rural Population in Egypt,” Northeastern Anthropological Association, MA (March 2007).
Church Membership & Activities
Saddleback Church - Lake Forest, CA
Community Service & Involvement
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE Certificate Awarded)
. Chaplaincy Work Services at Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, Staten Island, NY.
. Chaplaincy Work Services in the Emergency Room at Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY.
An age without passion has no values, and everything is transformed into representational ideas.